The Lord Haldon Hotel is a historic hotel located in the Devon countryside, just outside the city of Exeter. The hotel was originally a Georgian mansion built in the early 19th century and it has since been transformed into a countryside hotel.
The history of the Lord Haldon dates back to the early 1800s when the mansion was built by Sir Robert Palk; a wealthy merchant and politician. The mansion was designed in the Georgian Style , with elegant proportions, high ceilings and large sash windows. The interior of the mansion was sumptuously decorated with plasterwork, marble fireplaces and richly patterned wallpaper.
In 1869, the mansion was sold to Lord Haldon, a member of the aristocracy who was known for his love of horses and hunting. Lord Haldon made extensive renovations to the mansion, adding a new wing and a grand staircase. He also landscaped the gardens creating a beautiful parkland setting for the mansion.
Over the years, the mansion changed hands several times and was used for various purposes including a school and a convalescent home. In the 1960s, the mansion was purchased by a hotelier who transformed it into a country house hotel. The hotel quickly gained a reputation for its accommodation, fine dining and beautiful setting.